Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Mermaid Parade


Went to the Coney Island Mermaid parade last Saturday with some of the Dr. Sketchy's crew. We dressed as art monkeys and got baked in the sun. It was an amazing parade. I felt just a tad bit underdressed. Some of the paraders had the most amazing outfits and just about all of them pertained to mermaids or something oceanic. This is a painting I made featuring a sexy mermaid preening on the beach and a love-lorn robot risking rust and corrosion to be with her. This canvas was found in the garbage behind my apartment building in Ballard, Washington. It was already framed and the seascape was painted. I added the city skyline and smoggy green cloud in the distance as well as the robot, mermaid and toxic waste barrels bobbing in the surf. It's still in my home 'gallery'.

No comments: